The 2016 University of Michigan Debate Institutes
June 17 - July 31, 2016
June 17 - July 31, 2016
Michigan Debate Institutes Alums This Year Have:
"The University of Michigan 7-week Program was easily one of the best experiences of my life. After spending 7 weeks there as a junior, I knew that I had to return the next summer. The lab leaders are among the top coaches in the country and are truly invested in your success as an individual; from always being available for any type of question to giving invaluable advice in a one on one setting in lab sessions, the seniors lab helped immensely in both my knowledge of debate itself as well as how to excel in the activity. Some of the most unique parts of the lab were the in-depth discussions about the history of debate and how the activity has evolved into what it is today. The intensive research sessions, coupled with tons of practice debates and lectures proved critical in going beyond the basics of argumentation and really moving to the next level in my debate performance. Additionally, every summer Michigan houses the top debaters in the nation which provides the resources necessary for top tier practice debates. On top of all that, Ann Arbor is one of the best possible places to spend the summer, wonderful food, great weather, and tons to do/learn make the Michigan program an unforgettable experience!"
- Anish Dayal, Westminster Schools (GA), 10/22/15, Winner of the 2016 Emory University Tournament"Participating in the Michigan Seven Week program was the best possible experience I could have had in the summer before my junior year. The incredibly intense research sessions, comprehensive lectures, and competitive practice debates and tournaments pushed me to improve as a debater and as a person. Michigan is a microcosm of all of the most rewarding aspects of debate - rigorous intellectual competition with people who have come to be my closest friends along with guidance from some of the greatest debate minds in the country. I think about missing Michigan quite often, and I felt that Ann Arbor really was a home for me."
- Julia Hunter, St. Vincent de Paul (CA), 10/20/15, Winner of the 2015 Stanford Tournament and Recipient of 8 TOC Bids this Year"My time spent at the UMich Seven Week Juniors camp was the best summer experience I could've possibly had. The faculty consists of the top coaches and instructors throughout the country, all of which work incredibly hard to ensure your success as a debater. They provide incomparable feedback, tips, knowledge, and drills that prime you to be the top of the competition. In addition to the faculty, my fellow campers were incredible. Everybody was engaged, energetic, and like-minded, providing an enjoyable and educational atmosphere to improve your debate skills and make a ton of great friends. There's no other camp I'd have rather spent last summer, and am super excited to make more memories here next year."
- Jonah Jacobs, Glenbrook North High School (IL), 10/20/15, Finalist at 2015 St. Mark's Tournament and Greenhill Round Robin"The Seven Week Juniors Program at the University of Michigan provided me the unique combination of the best mentors as well as the best internal competition. The countless practice speeches, debates, lectures, and hours of research have made me an exponentially better debater. The lab leaders are second to none and always seem to enjoy instilling their knowledge and experience in the lab students. In addition, I can say that the aura of competitiveness throughout the lab all summer drove me to improve at an extremely fast pace."
- Andrew Kaplan, Montgomery Bell Academy (TN), 11/1/15, Octafinalist at the 2015 St. Mark's and Glenbrooks Tournaments"My summer at the Michigan 7 Week Juniors Camp was by far the most memorable experience in my debate career. Lab leaders both judged countless practice debates and listened to rebuttal redos, enabling me to hone my skills. But Michigan taught me more than just execution within the round. Countless hours of research guided by the best debate minds in the country taught me how to effectively prepare for tournaments. I learned about and debated a variety of arguments and styles rather than simply debating the politics disad every round. The dorm life and Ann Arbor atmosphere provided time to relax and make friends from all across the country. Overall, the 7 Week Program was the highlight of my summer and I would recommend it to anyone passionate about debate."
- Alana Levin, Glenbrook North High School (IL), 10/20/2015, Semifinalist at the 2016 Emory Tournament